- The new address is 140 N. Munn Road, Lindenhurst, Illinois.
- The new library is being built and will be operated without a tax increase.
- Construction began in September 2017 and we anticipate the building to open sometime August 2019.
- The current building's addition, constructed in1998, increased the size to 30,000 square feet and was based on a needs assessment that called for a 45,000 square foot building. However, the referendum for that size addition failed so the plans were scaled back to 30,000 square feet.
- According to CMAP (Chicago Metropolitan Planning Commission), the population in our library service area will surge to over 50,000 by 2040.
- The Munn Road site offers the most flexibility and ensures we can adequately accommodate the needs of the community for years to come.
- The paradigm for library service has changed completely. We need more room for seating, collaborative space, programs, quiet study and for people to come together.
Construction of the new Lake Villa District Library is nearly complete.
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, we expect to open Monday, August 5, 2019. Below is a list of features of the new facility:
- On the main level you will find the adult collection, computer area, business center, meeting rooms, and space to enjoy light refreshments or to meet with friends.
- The Youth Services Department is on the lower level and, in addition to the youth collection, will house a dedicated computer area, a variety of hands-on activities, places for parents to watch over their children, a gaming room and a large program room.
- The lower level also has a dedicated area for young adults — students in grades 7 – 12— that includes materials, computers and a gaming room.
- Plenty of tables and chairs — ideal for studying or collaboration — and, comfortable seating throughout the building. Plus, ten study rooms that can each accommodate up to five people. Abundant windows to allow for natural light and picturesque views.
- State of the art technology including plenty of ports and charging stations.
- Three dedicated rooms for public meetings and community events and additional rooms for an increased number of library programs.
- A beautiful landscape that includes a native habitat, plantings of nearly 2000 trees as well as a large outside area walking path and a terrace with seating.