- The new address is 140 N. Munn Road, Lindenhurst, Illinois.
- The new library will be built and operated without a tax increase.
- Construction began in September 2017 and we anticipate the building to open sometime in late-spring 2019.
- The current building's addition, constructed in1998, increased the size to 30,000 square feet and was based on a needs assessment that called for a 45,000 square foot building. However, the referendum for that size addition failed so the plans were scaled back to 30,000 square feet.
- According to CMAP (Chicago Metropolitan Planning Commission), the population in our library service area will surge to over 50,000 by 2040.
- The Munn Road site offers the most flexibility and ensures we can adequately accommodate the needs of the community for years to come.
- The paradigm for library service has changed completely. We need more room for seating, collaborative space, programs, quiet study and for people to come together.
The new Lake Villa District Library will be a vibrant gathering space. Here are a few examples of the principles that guided the design:
- Collaborative spaces for small groups to work and study.
- State-of-the-art technology including plenty of ports and charging stations.
- Abundant comfortable seating throughout the building.
- A space to enjoy light refreshments, browse the latest materials and meet with friends.
- Additional rooms to increase the number of programs and community events.
- A completely updated youth services department with lots of hands-on activities.
- Plenty of places for parents and caregivers to watch over their children while enjoying the library.
- Dedicated area for tweens and teens equipped with technology and materials geared for students in