Research & Learn
Our resources can help you write a paper, learn a language, fix a car, plan a vacation, and a whole lot more. Almost all resources are available anytime, anywhere.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data
- Weather, fishing, political and historical maps
- NASA maps
Use it for: Gathering GIS data, preparing for travel, printing educational material and handouts
- State profiles detailing demographics, crime, cuisine, economy, education, places of interest
- Historical information and photos
Use it for: Preparing for travel, printing photographs, school reports
- National cuisine, regional cuisine, daily meals, dining etiquette, special occasion foods, and food trivia for 174 countries of the world
- 6,000+ recipes
Use it for: researching food culture and recipes for country reports, finding new recipes, learning about food history
- Access to Ancestry.com’s genealogical sources
- U.S. and international censuses
- Birth, death, and marriage indexes
- Military data and city directories
Use it for: Genealogy research
- Find people by name or phone number
- Detailed information on U.S. businesses and consumers
- 7 million job and internship postings
- Resume & cover letter templates, interviewing tips, videos, and more
Use it for: Finding a job, compiling a list of businesses in a geographical area market research, competitive analysis
- Easily find ratings, reviews and undercover price research on Chicagoland services and retailers, including doctors, auto repair shops, plumbers, veterinarians, tax preparers and more.
- Advice on more than 150 topics such as finance, home maintenance, healthcare, and travel.
- Chicago Consumer Checkbook is nonprofit, independent, and provides unbiased information.
Use it for: Researching the best local services for your home, finances, and healthcare.
- Reviews, ratings and recommendations on appliances, automobiles, babies and kids products, food, and money/personal finance
- Money-saving advice and tips
- Reliable information on new and used cars
- Consumer news
Use it for: Researching products before buying, finding the best healthcare, cell phone and credit card plans
- Country profiles for business or casual travelers
- Guide to local customs, tipping etiquette, places of interests, terms and phrases to know, and cuisine
Use it for: Preparing for a business trip or personal vacation; finding authentic recipes from other countries
- Genealogical and historical sources for more than 60 countries
- U.S. Census data from 1790-1940
- Revolutionary War Era Pension & Bounty-Land Warrant Application files
- Freedman’s Bank records (1861-1875)
Use it for: Genealogy research
- Full text of the Chicago Tribune from 1849 to 1997
- Includes photographs, ads, and obituaries
Use it for: Locating a specific article or obituary, historical and genealogical research
- Contains full text for more than 1,000 reference books and over 164,400 primary source documents, as well as an Image Collection of over 502,000 photos, maps & flags
- Covers an extensive range of subject areas including business, health, education, fitness, sports and leisure, personal finance, general science, multicultural issues, DIY and fashion.
Use it for: Any research project
- Public record data for real estate transactions, foreclosures, bankruptcies and new businesses in Illinois
Use it for: Market research, competitive analysis
- Full text of premium newspapers from 1980 to present day; includes Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, LA Times, and Washington Post
- Daily papers are added at 8am each morning.
Use it for: Locating a specific article or obituary, general research, reading current local, national, and world news